Friday 24 August 2012

So, here we are. I am officially a student nurse :) Yes, me! How the hell did that happen? Well, I guess it started over ten years ago really, although I didn't know it at the time. A number of experiences, some good and some not so, have led me to this point, starting with my first foray into higher education back in 2000. That time I was a single 30 yr old looking for a life change. Did I get one! Met the man of my dreams and future daddy of my precious child, met a crazy, troubled man who turned his life around completely, became a nurse himself and who would inspire me to join him all these years later.

 After graduating with a 2.1 in Zoology, a huge overdraft and in total amazement that I actually passed at all, I began my career working with animals. I was a guide dog trainer and welfare worker ( lots of A&P, health, first aid, snappy patients), a primate / gorilla keeper (masses of nutrition, general healthcare, grumpy patients) and a wildlife rehabilitator (wound care, injury care, aggressive patients ...... see where I'm going with this?). I was a regular Miss Doolittle. happily bandaging torn doggy ears, bottle feeding baby bunnies and being peed on by rogue squirrel monkeys. Then I fell pregnant.  And then I had a baby. And that was it. My need to nurture humans burst through. 

I now find myself at a point that is right and ripe for me. My daughter is now at school, my partner is doing whatever he does, my dog doesn't do anything anyway and I am gearing up to be the best I've ever been.

You are welcome to follow my journey. I can't promise it will always be pretty. I can't promise it will always be pleasant but come anyway, at least it may make you smile xx

4 comments:

  1. This certainly made me smile. A great first post! Looking forward to more. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I hope you don’t mind me commenting – I work for Wiley Nursing, and I love your blog! We have a new series of books for student nurses, and we’re looking for people to review them. Would you be interested? Drop me an email if so! Happy holidays to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. a writer here - thanks for the ideas and narrative . Hope all is well .Where are the other pages.?

    ReplyDelete